Friday, May 05, 2006

The week finally ends........

Well as I promised yesterday I shall now explain (well sort of!) what make this week so torrid at work.

We had a visit from what we in Australian law enforcement call the 'toe-cutters' or 'feather-feet'....for every one else Internal Affairs. You can take that to be a bad thing....very bad.

I can't risk explaining the precise nature of the investigation however it was aimed at a number of staff starting right near the top. The allegations centered around the treatment of an officer and whether or not it was appropriately dealt with by immediate and extended management.

I will say from the outset that I take no issue with the need to conduct an investigation into the allegations or even with the manner in which that occurred. After all if true, some of the matters are quite serious......not corrupt or illegal but matters of discipline and inappropriate behaviour.

My concerns are two-fold

1. Our senior manager has not even bothered to come to our office and let the staff know that he is concerned in relation to the investigation and offer some assurances to the staff that he will support those that are blameless or have only made genuine mistakes and,

2. The person who is the 'victim' in this is making allegations in relation to events that they were not only involved in but partially or entirely instigated.

As far as the so-called 'manager' goes all I can say is that in all my 25 years in law enforcement I have never met a more self-serving, uncaring, vacuous pool of arse gravy. He has no ethics, morals or backbone and is an embarrassment to the human race. I intend to seek placement elsewhere and when I find a location to my liking I will ensure that as I depart everyone knows he is the reason.......including him!

In relation to the victim I feel a mixture of anger and sadness. I personally know some of the allegations to be untrue, some wildly embellished and others I suspect are mostly accurate. What I can't understand is why you would risk many friendships and the loss of your credibility by not sticking with the unadulterated truth. At least that would ensure the real issues were dealt with and any real transgressors punished. All that has occurred in this case is a large number of uninvolved parties are trying to justify their actions for things that they know nothing about. It is not fair and has created a wave of paranoia throughout my workplace. I feel great sadness for someone who has felt it necessary to cause that kind of damage........especially to those people who have done nothing wrong!

The investigation is winding down now and it seems that the wheat is being sorted from the chaff.....I guess we may at least get a fair outcome. Now the damage needs to be repaired and that's going to take a long time.

I don't know if this makes me feel any better but at least I haven't been directly impacted so far although I'm not going to hold my breath yet.

Think happy thoughts and on Monday we'll have to start the re-build!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

arse gravy!!! oh i love that...new words for the week!!

U r a strong presence and the aura of an arse gravy surely diminshes in your presence, if it wasnt for your assurance,knowledge and guidance alot of junior people would have tanked by now..

It was a crap week, but after the tears and the tempers, a calm will follow.....